Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Prayer

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen

I am not sure if you will recognize this second part of the prayer, but it seems to be the most often missed yet most relevant to my life.

The first half I am sure you can quote verbatim:
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

This is most commonly quoted in a such an anecdotal way that the true meaning of God's margin in our lives is often missed for some ho hum woo is me God grant me serenity because I can't do it feel sorry for me prayer. Truth is taking this sinful world as God has means loving when you don't want to, being patient when you have none and surrendering to God when you don't want to! Harsh, maybe, but I tend to be tough on myself. Oh, you thought I was talking to you?????

No comments: