Wednesday, October 12, 2005

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? PRAYER = SPEAKING?


OK, so in the beginning of the evangelical movement there were these two well known evangelists, lets say for anonymity sake their first names are Oral and Jerry. Jerry says to Oral, "Hey Oral, this week when we pray with our congregations why don't we make a bunch of funny noises and owwww and awwwww. Then be all crazy Like OHHHHHH HOLIEST OF LORDS WE EXALT YOU AND WORSHIP YOU AND OHHHHHHHHHH LORD PROSPER US, IF YOU DON'T TITHE LIGHTENING MIGHT STRIKE YOUR HOME HEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY." Then we could make all kinds of guttural sounds and hack and coooo. So, they did it and guess what it back fired on them. Everyone accepted it and they were all so insecure in their relationships with God they embraced it. Afterward the two met and decided they must have been cooler than they thought and setting a trend, so they never told anyone and today the church still practices this and we call it prayer and supplication,worst yet we accept it?

So maybe I embellished a bit here, but really? Think about it, prayer is defined as Speaking to God.
Definition
pray (SPEAK TO GOD) Show phonetics
verb
1 [I or T] to speak to a god either privately or in a religious ceremony in order to express love, admiration or thanks or in order to ask for something:

Well then why is it made to be more than this or twisted from this? I mean you don't have reverence for you father and mother, obviously you don't worship them, but if your children were like, "OHHHHHHHH Father I think you are great can I borrow the car?" "Will you please bless me with your wheels OHHHHHHH most gracious, steadfast, beautiful, caring, selfless mother?" We would be like "What are you smoking?" As I grow closer to God, He has shown me that it is not for reverence, but relationship that He created me. Nothing I speak will prove my adoration of my heavenly Father, nor anything you speak will either. It is in my actions and our relationship. So where you ask, "Where am I going with this?" I will tell you. I am talking more to God and growing closer than I have ever been through simple conversation as with any relation I have. Seems simple to some, but I have been led to believe "Some Divine Revelation" had to occur for this to happen? Well it has, I don't need anyone to show me God or how to speak to Him, He shows Himself to me and He will to you " JUST BE REAL!" I heard it once said the finest form of flattery is imitation. Imitate God not a man, God wants you to speak to Him as a Father to a Son and Mother to a Daughter. He sees through everything else.

Talk to God and be you, He will honor it and talk back to you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so awesome to be able to crawl into His lap and cry like a baby, or just share my joys with Him. There is no more comforting a place. I absolutlely agree with you.

David Wegley said...

Awesome post!

The Mac Fam said...

WOW! You amaze me. Why are you in the restaurant industry?

Anonymous said...

Does that cell phone booth count against my minutes?

One Man's Struggle To Take It Easy said...

I see someone is paying attention and reading my blog?
You are so predictable "Of Course"