Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What? I thought Festivus was a great new holiday?



This is an excerpt from today's Wall Street Journal:

Late next month, atheists, humanists, freethinkers, secularists -- in short, nonbelievers of every description -- will gather in dozens of cities to mark the holiday they call HumanLight.

Whether by singing from a Humanist Hymnal, decorating a winter wreath or lighting candles dedicated to personal heroes, they'll celebrate what has been an exhilarating ride for the faithless -- a surge in recognition that has many convinced they're on the brink of making a mark on mainstream America.
During the past three years, membership has grown in local and national associations of nonbelievers. Books attacking faith as a delusion shot up best-seller lists. For the first time, the faithless even raised enough funds to hire a congressional lobbyist.

Building on that momentum, nonbelievers have begun a very public campaign to win broad acceptance. On billboards and bus ads, radio commercials and the Internet, atheists are coming forward to declare, quite simply: We're here. And we're just like you.



There go I, but for the grace of God! I don't know about you, but it seems like a lot of work to prove something they believe true to others. Actually, as I read the article my heart hurt for them. If I was not certain there was a God and he loves them and wants to have a relationship not a religion with them, I probably would say good for them.

The truth is it is my experience that in life there is always a natural cause and effect. Most Humanists/Atheists I have gotten to know have been hurt by organized religion and as a result run from the religion and leave God with it. I think it is sad that in a day of such information and communication, deceit of self and each other has become the norm. It can be factually proven that with regard to Jesus and the Bible there are no coincidences, but facts. So, what now? How do we the 71% of the country that believe in God react to this new movement of humanism or humans as God? I pray for the lost that they would find truth for themselves. Your thoughts?

No comments: